If you have never had French press, you’re missing out on a smooth, rich and indulgent way to enjoy coffee! It’s simple to prepare and takes only 4 minutes to brew. It is consistent and reliable and will provide you multiple cups of full-bodied coffee. The French press as we know it today was patented in 1929 by Attilo Calmani, who was actually Italian, not French.
Suggested Brewing Method:
You will need:
- French Press brewer
- Grinder( Burr grinder recommended)
- Fresh whole bean coffee
- Hot water just off the boil (about 200-205 degrees)
- Scale (optional)
- Wooden spoon
Pre-warm the press with hot water. This will help maintain the temperature while brewing your coffee.
Ratio of Water and Coffee for French press: a general proportion is 1 cup water(8oz.)-2 full tablespoons of coffee.
- Measure out the coffee beans according to the proportions above.
- Grind the Beans. Grind your beans on the coarsest setting in a burr grinder. If you don’t have a burr grinder, grind your coffee in brief, sharp pulses in a blade grinder and give it a couple of shakes while holding the lid on. Your coffee beans should ideally be the size and shape of breadcrumbs. Pour the grounds into a French press.
- Heat the water to boiling then let stand for about a minute. (about 200 degrees)
- Add the water to the French press, leaving no dry spots of coffee.
- About a minute in the top layer will crust. Stir to break up the crust. Be careful not to accidentally crack the glass. You can add a little water to bring up the level if you desire.
- At 4:00 minutes from pouring your water, you are ready to press. Slowly but firmly press all the way down.
- ENJOY! Ready to pour. You may want to pour your coffee into another carafe to avoid long term over extraction. Mine doesn’t usually last that long.
I would also recommend buying a French Press that is durable. I cannot tell you how many glass inserts I have gone through over the years, and replacement glass carafes can be costly. I recommend either a French press with a plastic frame or a stainless steel thermal French press. One of the ones we like is the French Press Coffee Maker and Tea Pot (34oz/ 1L) by Lady Ironside.
The press is stainless steel, double wall thermal insulated, with push down filter for cold brew. It includes scoop + 2 extra filters.
And of course, you may Contact us with any questions or interest you may have, on purchasing any of our recommended products.
Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy!